After a 2am iPhone fake photo shoot with a pleased client, I woke up around 10am happy and lazy. I stretched and rolled over with one eye opened checking messages looking for my usual morning motivational posts. Then my scrolling was interrupted by this text I received from my bestie:
I received the link. It was called the “10 Best braiders in the game.” I clicked. Read. Shook my head. Sat up. Got up. Grabbed my iPad to write my own list. I think I take braiding way too serious and waaaay too personal. So much for a lazy morning.
Without taking anything away from the braiders Essence listed who are in fact talented, I didn’t see any of the braiders that I admire on that list. I also noticed most if not all had strong celebrity clientele. There are SO many everyday people who braid there asses off locally and are not recognized because they have not blessed a celebrity with their skill. Don’t get me wrong, styling a recognizable musician or actor is hella exciting and great for business. Sheeiiiit…Who wouldn’t want to!?! What I’m saying is sometimes the “best braiders in the game”, don’t have the best reach. For that reason here is my own list. Ok ok so my blog isn’t Essence, I haven’t posted in over a year and I don’t even have the best reach but ooooooh hush.
There’s something about certain braids that stand out to me personally as a fellow braider. All braids are not created equal. It’s in the flick of the wrist of the artist, the way they position the hair in their hands, the way each “leg” of a braid or twist crosses the other, that…..that je ne sais quoi! It’s the difference between “Eh. Cute.” and the screenshot worthyness/weak in the knees feeling of a “YAAAAAAS!!” braided style.
Even if this falls on blind eyes, here is my personal list of Braiding Badasses! Check out their personal Instagram pages for more work!
*In no particular order*
1. @Beautycanbraid is one busy braider who can literally do anything.
2. @BraidsbyGuvia work is always recognizable. Hands down the best twists I see on IG.
3. @BraidsbyEkua work is self explanatory.
4. @MsPritea has undeniable talent.
5. @Natalysyles1 braiding skill is not to be messed with. Like, ever.
6. @Jazitup gets it right every. single. time.
7. @Crownednaturally puts in that WORK!
8. @Kiakhameleon is not out here to play ANY games!!
9. @IamGlamfreak set social media on fire with her straightback braids on Keyshia Cole but she has her local clients looking just as fly.
10. @MsHairandHumor yep, ME! I am taking the advice of countless people who cross paths with me and tell me to stop underestimating my talent. It doesn’t come easy to pat myself on the back; we are all our own worst critic but if I don’t believe in my work, who will.